Friday, November 14, 2008

From The Beginning...

First off, why am I doing this?
Because writing in a journal makes my hand hurt! Not to mention, journals take up a lot of space (I already have 15 notebooks piled in a box in the closet right now.) Plus, I think this could be a lot of fun!


So, let me begin...

My husband (of five years now~ can't believe that!) and I grew up in the same town. We went to the same high school, but didn't know each other. I met him on my first day of college in Calculus class. We started dating pretty soon after that although, I thought we were "just friends" for the first month! Matt decided to go into the Air Force after September 11, but he didn't leave for basic training until September 2002. We had been dating for a year by that time and when I went to San Antonio for his basic training graduation, he proposed to me. Actually... he had already asked me on the phone, but that's a story for another day. Matt told me that he was able to make a wish list of places that he would like to be stationed and he asked my opinion. I really wanted to stay in the South, but I told him anywhere but Alaska. So imagine my surprise when he calls me up and tells me that he was being stationed in Anchorage. Oh, how I cried! My dad really didn't want me to leave. He printed me out all of this information on Alaska. When he handed the stack of papers to me, the first sentence I read was, "Will a polar bear eat me?" OMG! I wanted to wait until I turned 20 to get married, so I completed my sophomore year of college before joining Matt in Alaska. We got married on September 4, 2003. And to make a long story short.. After, the first winter and getting used to the lack of sunlight, I loved it there! There was just so much to do and everything was beautiful.


In September 2005, Matt took me to North Pole, AK for our anniversary. I really like dorky things like getting my picture taken with Santa in the North Pole and petting reindeer! The next week, I was sitting in class and all I could think about was how sick I was feeling. I was sitting in Anatomy Lab dissecting a shark with a lab partner when it hit me. Was it possible that I could be pregnant? Obviously, that was all I could think about for the rest of the class and I had to rush to the store for a pregnancy test. I took the test and of course it was positive. We had not planned on having a baby for several years and I was really scared, to say the least. Matt was working late that night and I was hysterical so I asked one of my friends to come over. Matt called and told me that a guy from work was going to stay at our apartment that night and all I could think about was how I needed to clean. I was running around crying and frantically cleaning. Absolute craziness! Matt wasn't very excited about the news at first, but he became more excited about the baby the further along I got into my pregnancy.


My pregnancy... I have never been more miserable in my life! When I hear someone say that they love being pregnant, I just stop and stare at them dumbfounded. Of course, I did have preeclampsia. My feet became so swollen that Matt called them elephant feet and I had to wear flip flops to school. In January. In Alaska. Not so fun! My due date was May 28, but Aiden was born on May 17, 2006 at 1:06 am. 23 hours of labor and one emergency c-section, I was finally able to hold my precious baby in my arms. Matt had been up for 36 hours and I told him to go home and get some rest. I figured the baby could stay in the nursery for a little bit while I rested. *Note* The military hospital does NOT have a nursery! I ended up having to hold Aiden all night long. I guess, I could have called for a nurse to transfer him to his bassinet, but I would have to call them every time he cried since I couldn't exactly move due to the c-section.

In July 2006 Aiden was 2 months old, we moved back to TN to be close to our family. They have been a great help. Aiden is now 2 1/2. He stays with my grandma ("Mammy") during the day while I go to school and work. I am a graduate student and work in a research lab. Matt just graduated with a Chemistry and Philosophy degree and is getting ready to start medical school next fall. He has been to 7 inteviews and has an acceptance to a school in Washington DC. I went to DC with him when he interviewed (that was the first time I had ever been there) and I loved it. I'm not sure what I will be doing once we move, but I'm sure it will be an adventure!

2 comments:

Kara said...

I never knew you were from and currently living in TN.

Melissa said...

I didn't realize you were either until I saw your pictures from Dollywood.(Not sure how to post comments on your blog).We're actually going there this weekend. It looked like your girls had a lot of fun.They're adroable!