Monday, November 17, 2008

Our poor dog!

First, I have to say that our dog, Kenai, is one of the best dogs ever. She is a great running partner and is wonderful with Aiden. We are able to just open the door and let her go outside to use the bathroom. She doesn't go out of our yard and once she's finished she runs right back to the door. Well, yesterday evening, Kenai asked to go outside. Normally, I stand on the porch and watch her, but I was busy doing laundry and it was 35 degrees outside so I just let her out and shut the door behind her. I went downstairs to put the laundry in the dryer and Aiden asked to go potty. I was helping him when I realized that I had forgotten my notebook in my lab and I had a test that I needed to study for. It's really dark at the college and I'm afraid to go there by myself. Last week, a girl had her car taken from her at gunpoint. My mom called at about this time and asked if we were still coming over. Aiden had painted a plate at "Into the Fire" for his great grandmother for Christmas and my mom had picked it up. My dad loves wrapping presents and told me that he would wrap it for me, but I wanted to see how it turned out first. My dad said that he would go with me to the lab to get my book, so I got Aiden's shoes, coat, hat, mittens, and blankey and put him in the car. My dad and I got my notebook and went back to the house. My dad wanted to show me some of the presents he had bought Aiden for Christmas and I spent a little time talking to my mom before loading Aiden back into the car. I was leaving the subdivision when I realized that I had forgotten to look at the plate Aiden had painted! So I called my mom and turned back around. I ran inside to quickly look at the plate. I kid you not, in the right corner of the plate, there was what looked to be a bright red swastika. (I really should have taken a picture of it!) And this plate is for my grandmother who was born in Germany and lived there throughout WWII! I just shook my head. What can you do? We went home after that. I guess we had been gone for about an hour and a half. It was time to get Aiden ready for bed so I took him to his room and started reading him some books. I heard a little scratching sound and I glanced at the door. I noticed that it was unlocked and my heart sped up a little as I shouted, "Umm.. Matt? Did you let Kenai outside?" Of course he hadn't. I jumped up and opened the door and there she was sitting on the porch. My poor doggie! I felt absolutely terrible! I guess I win the bad dog owner award of the day. She had been outside for almost 2 hours in 35 degree weather and she was freezing! After I got Aiden in bed, I called for Kenai and started petting her. She still felt cold so I decided to put one of my sweatshirts on her. Matt told me that I shouldn't do it because she would really hate me, but she really didn't seem to mind. In fact, I think she liked it! She went to her bed soon after that and went to sleep. When we were getting ready to go to bed, I took the shirt off her. Matt asked me why and I told him that I could just see the shirt getting caught on her back legs and her falling down the stairs... I don't even wante to think about that. But like I said, we have one of the best dogs ever. She acts like I didn't even leave her out in the cold for two hours!
I have absolutely no idea why I have been so scatterbrained lately...
Kenai

No comments: