Saturday, December 13, 2008

My Shark Fears

Day 13 of our Christmas Countdown: Matt and I took Aiden and my little sister, Mandy, to the aquarium


I have always loved the ocean. When I was in 5th grade I decided that I wanted to be a marine biologist. My best friend and I were going to move to Florida and study sharks. Those dreams fell through when I took a marine biology course in Anchorage. Could anything be any more boring than learning about commerical fishing and tidal changes? Hmm... maybe. Anyways, I have always been fascinated by sharks and I love taking Aiden to the aquarium. However, there is one part of this particular aquarium that completely freaks me out.


This is the large open tank where the sharks are housed. Yes, it's OPEN!!! They have it set up where part of it looks like a beach and then of course this area looks like a reef. So it looks really awesome, but it freaks me out! I've had nightmares about this before! When I was looking over the barrier one of the sharks decided to come explore. If I had wanted to lean over the "reef" I could have touched this little guy:



I'm sure not many people would take that chance. But I really could see someone falling into the tank and it scares me to death. There is no way Aiden could climb the reef, but I had a death grib on his hand the entire time we were in that area!



6 comments:

Kara said...

This part of the aquarium really freaks me out too! I always rush the kids by. Did you notice the life saving ring hanging there when you went? Totally scary!

tara @ kidz said...

Stopping through by way of Blog Stalkers Unite.

Ya gotta love the aquarium! Your little boy is a cutie!

Kristen said...

What a fun trip but the sharks are scary

Cammie said...

great pics.....I went through that phase too only I wanted to be the dolphin trainer at Sea World

Melissa said...

Kara, I did see the life saving ring, but until you pointed it out, I had it in my head that it was just part of the decoration. Ugh! Thanks for helping my nightmares! LOL

Zoey's Mommy said...

Looks like you guys had fun, even if the sharks do scare you! I wish we had an aquarium around here. Or something fun for kids to do. We have NOTHING! LOL!