Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Crystal Snow Paint

In attempt to calm down a little, I thought it would be fun to do an art project with Aiden. I opened the drawer where I keep most of the art supplies and he said, "Is it art time, Mommy?" He really loves making crafts. It makes me feel a little guilty that we went from making something almost everyday before Christmas to not making anything at all. I need to get some kind of routine together.

Since he had just gotten home from skiing, I thought we should do a "snow" project. I let him draw a snowman with markers while I boiled water for our "crystal" paint. (Salt dissolved in water).
He helped pour the salt into a bowl.

I added the hot water and he helped stir it all up.

Then he painted the snow all over his picture.

Looks like he's having fun!

The Finished Picture:


When the paint dried, you could see all the little sparkly crystals. Of course this made a HUGE mess! The salt crystals fall off every time you pick the paper up, but Aiden was pretty amazed by the transformation. And it's more about the process than the product! So now, it's 9:00 and I'm going to bed early and in a much better mood!

7 comments:

Kirsty said...

Very pretty! My kids love art and craft too...just wish it wasn't so darned messy!

Yaya said...

Totally cute paint!

Heatherlyn said...

Oh, good for you. Doing art with kids is sooo great! I hope you have a fantastic sleep. :)

Kristen said...

Glad you're in a better mood!
Aiden did great and I was pretty amazed too!

Ms. Cupcake said...

Dropping by from sits. Very cute!

Mommy of M's said...

Never heard of this, sounds fun! What are you going to come up with for Vday? I need ideas!!

Joanna said...

You come up with the coolest projects. I love the snow crystal painting idea and may just have to steal it from you.