Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Resolutions!

It's that time of year again...


40 to 45% of American adults make one or more resolutions each year.

The Top New Years Resolutions are about:
1. Weight loss/ exercise
2. Self improvement or education
3. Stopping to smoke
4. Better money management / debt reduction
5. Improving relationships


How many of these resolutions are maintained as time goes on:
- past the first week: 75%
- past 2 weeks: 71%
- after one month: 64%
- after 6 months: 46%
- for the entire year: 15%

I've never been really big on making resolutions of my own. But every once in a while, I get motivated and set a goal that I know I can achieve!

Here are a few of the resolutions that I have kept:

  • 2001: No soda for a year May not sound like much but I had a 4 cans a day addiction. I had planned on keeping this goal long term. I made it a little over a year and a half. Darn vanilla coke! I just had to try it.... Of course they had to quit making it now that I'm back to 3 cans a day!
  • 2004: Be a vegetarian. Matt and I made this resolution together. And we did it! I learned how to cook so many new things. When I got pregnant in 2005, my doctor was worried about my protein intake so I reintroduced chicken and sausage into my diet. I still don't eat beef, but everything else is fair game!
  • 2008: Run 500 miles. I barely made this goal at the end of December! I go through phases. I will run 5-6 days a week for a month and then run 10 times the next month. I really need to be more consistent.

Is it OK to have the same resolution 2 years in a row? I really want to set a running goal again, but anything over 500 discourages me! I would hate to fail...

So, for 2009 I am going to run over 500 miles!

My New Years Resolution is to run the Marine Corps Marathon on October 25 in Washington DC. I can do it!!! (I think....)


4 comments:

Travel Writer said...

Happy NEw Year.. Good luck with your new year resolution

Kristen said...

Looks like you have started the new year on the right foot!
I really want to run a full marathon. When I was training for my first half last year my goal was to run a full in 2009. After I ran the half I changed my mind. Well now that I'm training for my next half in March I'm wanting to run a full again.
If I do better on this half I may try for a full one this year.
The Marine Corp course looks better than the one in my city.
I do plan to run a half/full marathon in each state so maybe I'll put DC on the calendar.

Happy running!

Heatherlyn Colt said...

I appreciate you reporting on the outcome of your goals from 2008. It's really motivating to see what you were able to accomplish, mainly because it's proof that people can move forward. I'm always amazed at people who run many many miles. Good Luck in 2009!

NJDecorator said...

Visiting from SITS! Your family is so cute...good luck with your running resolution.