Friday, January 16, 2009

Painting with Kool-Aid

Here is another art project that Aiden and I did that's all about the process, not the product!

I'm always looking for something new to do and I found this Kool-Aid paint recipe at
http://familyplayandlearn.com/PreschoolPaintRecipesandArtActivities.html

The Ingreedients


1 cup flour
1 pack unsweetened Kool-Aid
1/4 cup salt
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil


The Paint: I wasn't expecting it to be so watery (This probably should have been my clue!)




Aiden's Painting


Well, it doesn't look very pretty but the process was actually pretty cool. Aiden was able to see the oil and water separation (although I think he's a bit too young to understand that!). The Kool-Aid colored the oil and the water soaked into the paper so there were colorful blobs that Aiden could chase around his paper with the paintbrush. He had fun doing that.


Final Product:


They actually look a lot better in person! The oil and salt made irredescent splotches and sparkles on the black paper and the Kool-Aid spots on the white sheet are sparkly as well. Probably not something to save though!
.

So as I was writing this post, it hit me that I forgot to add the FLOUR to my paint! LOL That explains a lot! I was wondering why they called it Kool-Aid Fingerpaint. I wasn't too interested in letting Aiden fingerpaint with oily water! Oh, well. It just gives us another activity to do tonight!

2 comments:

Heatherlyn said...

That's funny about the flour. If it works like paint with the flour I will probably make some for my kids. I bet it smells really good!

pam said...

Let us know if it turns out the second time around.

Interesting idea, one I have never heard of.