Tuesday, January 13, 2009

When it Rains, It Pours...

I'm a graduate student, but I'm employeed by the university where I go to school. For the past year and a half I have been running a research lab while my boss is on a fellowship. I was just informed that the grant money was low and that I would have to accept a graduate assistant position if I wanted to continue to get paid. Well... that means a $3,000 cut in pay over the year and I lose my health insurance at the end of the month. Now, that would be a scary thing for me at any point, but it's especially bad now that I'm pregnant! Matt's in school full-time this semester and there's just no way he can get a job that offers insurance for five months. Of course I had to miss Aiden's ski trip today as well since I had to deal with all of this. It was not a good day! I know this is not the best time to stress, but what can I do?

4 comments:

Kati Sue* said...

Oooh man.. that stinks.. my mother in law is in a similar situation.. she is set to graduate in May though...

Yaya said...

Oh dear, this is not good. I'm sorry that you have this added stress in life and I'm hoping things all work out.

Heatherlyn said...

I don't know. Are you low enough income to qualify for government aid? Lots of states have that for pregnancy . . . although you will be moving at the end of your pregnancy so I would check the state where you are moving too. If there is a good place to have our tax payer money go it is for students who are brave and good enough to raise families. (You will be paying so much in taxes in the future, it all works out!) I hope that is an option for you!!!!

Mommy of M's said...

Everything happens for a reason. Maybe there is a better opportunity out there. I'm sure it will all work out.