Sunday, January 18, 2009

You should NEVER tell a 2 year old a Secret!

Tomorrow is Matt's birthday and I have this carrot cake recipe that he loves. I've only made it three times because it takes over 3 hours to make! But since it's Matt's favorite cake I decided to make it for him for his birthday. Since I've been having a lot of morning sickness and have been exhausted lately, I knew he wouldn't think about me making the cake this time. I even asked my grandmother (Mammy) if I could make the cake at her house so he would be completely surprised. Then I made the mistake...

Aiden got up too early this morning and he was really cranky. I told him that if he was really good, he could come with me to Mammy's house and we would make Daddy a birthday cake. When Matt got up, he asked Aiden if he would like to go see Mamaw (his mom). Aiden shook his head and said, "No! We go to Mammy house. We make Daddy birthday cake!" Matt looked at me and said, "You're going to make that carrot cake?" What could I do but nod and smile?

So here is the Fabulous Cake: Southern Living's Best Carrot Cake


Getting Started:









The recipe says to drizzle the glaze onto the cake once you remove it from the oven. Well, the first time I made this cake, I didn't really think there was a difference between drizzle and pour... Uh, yeah. There is. We had a slightly soggy, gooey cake that time.


The Cream Cheese Frosting:


Happy Birthday, Matt! I did my best!


I have to say, I've never been a big fan of carrot cake. But this cake is absolutely fabulous! Now, if the Steelers could just hurry up and win their game... I would really like a piece of cake!

6 comments:

Heatherlyn said...

You are SO right about 2 year-olds and secret telling!

The cake looks delicious! I made homemade carrot cake once, maybe twice. It was great but it DOES take a long long time to make, just like you said. You are so thoughtful! I bet your husband had a really happy birthday!

Mel said...

Carrot cake is also my hubby's fave! And his birthday is next month. I will try to make one too! Looks delicious! You are a devoted wife to make it when you are tired, pregnant and nauseated!

mommy4life said...

Came over from SITS! Looks yummy!

Joanna said...

LOL. Typical.

That cake looks yummy!

The Blonde Duck said...

That's so cute he squealed! That cake looks fabulous. I'm going to bookmark it for my mother's birthday in July!

Carole said...

love the cake! Love the TUpperware Cake Taker even more....lol Thanks got the tag!!!

carole
xoxo