Wednesday, February 11, 2009

It's been a difficult week

Well, it all started last Wednesday when my grandfather went to the hospital for surgery. He has diabetes and they were going to insert a balloon in his leg to try to improve circulation. During the surgery, some part of their equipment slipped and nicked an artery that affected his other leg. They couldn't repair anything at the time and scheduled a by-pass for both legs for Saturday and sent him home Thursday morning.

On Friday, my grandfather was unable to stand up and was rushed to the ER due to extreme pain. He had surgery on his legs Saturday morning and suffered from a heart attack later that day. The doctors are unsure if the surgery restored any of his circulation and informed my grandmother that he may have to have both of his legs amputated. However, they can't say that he will survive this surgery due to the damage his heart suffered. He is currently on a ventilator in the ICU while his heart stabilizes. He has been in a medically induced coma since Saturday and they started slowly weaning him from the sedatives yesterday in hopes that they can get him off the ventilator by early next week.

I have always been really close to both of my grandparents. My parents were divorced when I was 6 months old and my mom and I lived with them for the first 6 years of my life. And they have taken care of Aiden while I'm at school or work since he was 3 months old. It breaks my heart to see how devastated my grandmother is. It's just been a really difficult time for our family.

I feel like I'm already in mourning and nothing is certain yet. I'm going to try my best to put on a happy face and do something fun with Aiden today. He has no idea that anything is wrong but I'm sure he's confused by how our routines have drastically changed. Regardless of the outcome, today, I'm going to focus on some good memories...

When Aiden was younger, he always liked to load Papaw up with toys.



My grandparents on Halloween



Christmas Eve: enjoying some yummy food



18 comments:

Kati Sue* said...

I am sorry you are having a difficult week and I really hope that things get better! I will keep your family in my thoughts!

Lara said...

I'm so sorry that you are having to go through this! I hope that your grandfather gets better soon!

pam said...

I am so sorry. It must just seem like such a senseless thing to you that this has happened. I will be praying and thinking of you!!

Mommy of M's said...

I'm so sorry. I know it's probably hard, but don't forget to take care of yourself and the baby.

Megryansmom said...

Hugs and prayers for you and Papaw.

mommy4life said...

What a difficult time. I will pray for your family for comfort and protection and healing for your grandfather.

Heatherlyn said...

I am so sorry. I hate it when you go in for surgery and it makes things worse. (That happened to my great-grandmother.) I am so very sorry. This must be so difficult. I can't imagine life for you without your grandfather. My prayers are with you; I hope that you are able to find some comfort.

♥georgie♥ said...

Melissa I will be keeping you your family and your grandpa in my thoughts and prayers
(((HUGS))) to you

Karen said...

Hope that your grandfather gets well soon! I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

MyWorld said...

I am very sorry to hear that. My Grandmother's health has been failing quickly and I'm not sure if she's going to recover from her latest illness, either. It sounds like my Grandfather is starting to realize that possibility, too. I'll be thinking of you.

~~Mel~~ said...

Melissa, I am so sorry! I'm praying for your grandfather.

Mel said...

Sorry you are going through this tough time. Praying that your Grandfather recovers well. Do take care of yourself and baby.

Kristen said...

What wonderful memories you have and how great it is that Aiden is able to get to know your grandparents and can help you remember all the joy they bring you.

I'll be keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers!

Jenny/Moravia said...

Staying positive sounds like a good plan. Thought and prayers to you and your family.

Carina the Blogarina said...

How lucky is you boy to have such wonderful people in his life! No matter what happens, you will always have that. I know it's hard - I lost my grandfather a few years back.

My thoughts are with you.

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm so sorry. I hope he recovers soon!

Rachel Ann said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa...I've been going through medical issues with my best Grandpa as well the last few years and it is rough! I pray that he will recover quickly and that your Grandma will be ok as well!

I have a Kreativ Blog Award for you! Come "pick" it up when you have a chance!

Staci said...

I hope everything is going well! You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.... HUGS!