Tuesday, February 3, 2009

There's a Hoo-Hoo in the House

Aiden loves owls. I thought this was going to be a short phase, but he seems to be talking about them more and more lately. He's even made up a couple of "hoo-hoo" games! So this is how we've been spending our time lately.

Aiden's favorite game is playing Mommy or Daddy hoo-hoo. As soon as I pick him up from my grandmother's house, he will say, "You be a hoo-hoo tonight?" He absolutely loves this game and would play it all night if he could.

The game is kinda like hide-and-seek. Matt and I will take turns holding Aiden and the other one will be the hoo-hoo. The one holding Aiden hides and the hoo-hoo flies around looking for them. We can never really hide with Aiden because he yells and giggles the entire time. When the hoo-hoo flies into the room, Aiden will scream, "Hi!" Then he will throw out his arms for a hug and say, "I like you!" Whenever we play a game like this or hide and seek he gets a little bit scared or anxious. But he loves it and asks to play again and again. Go figure...

Another hoo-hoo game consists of him hiding from the owls under a tent (his blanket). He will giggle and ask if the hoo-hoo is going to peck him. Then he will peek out and I will fly over to him and peck (tickle him). Then he will be the owl and I have to hide from him.

As much as he likes owls, he is afraid of these:

He calls them daddy hoo-hoos.

He has been really scared to go into his room for the past couple of weeks because he thinks a daddy hoo-hoo might be in there. I've tried everything I can think of to reassure him that hoo-hoos are nice and that there is no way that they can get into the house. He will still sleep in his room at night, but he will not go in there during the day~ not even to get his blanket or bring me a book. He will grab my hand and say, "Come with me, Mommy." I know he will get over it soon, but I wish there was something I could do to make him not be afraid now.....

5 comments:

Heatherlyn said...

That is so cute! Someday he will be embarrased to be afraid of owls but I think it is precious. And I can totally understand why he loves those games.

Blogging Mama Andrea said...

Ah, that's cute! Love the name of your blog.

Stopping by from SITS :)

The Blonde Duck said...

You've got such a creative little boy! I love it!

Zoey's Mommy said...

How adorable is he!! Zoey likes owls too. Probably not as much as Aiden though! She likes to do animal sounds and always asks what a mommy owl says, what a daddy owl says, and what the baby owl says!

Kristen said...

Wish I had a tip for you.

That photo makes me scared too!