Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Aaaaargh! Spiders!

Today, was the second day of bug week. I asked Aiden which bugs he wanted to talk about this week and he chose spiders for today's activity. I know that spiders aren't bugs exactly, but they are similar enough for me!

We went to the library after morning preschool and checked out six different bug books. Aiden has already decided that we will be doing dinosaurs next week. He sat in the floor and looked at a book of dinosaur skeletons while I searched for all of our bug books. I can't wait to be able to take him to see the actual skeletons at the Natural History Museum! He is going to LOVE it! Anyways, back on to spiders...

I am terrified of spiders, a fact that Aiden is well aware of. So when we found, Aaaarrgghh! Spider! by Lydia Monks, I thought it would be perfect for us. Unfortunately, I didn't read it first. The spider in the story wants (and gets) to become the family pet. I really hope Aiden doesn't get any ideas from that book!


We then made a very non-scary handprint spider and had a special spidery snack.

The ingreedients for our yummy spider: oreos, pretzel sticks, red hots, and icing (to make eyes stick)


Stop! Don't eat them yet!


My spider example


Working Hard

Aiden's spiders


I Love how he concentrates so hard on painting his hand!


Aiden asked to give it red eyes since we used the red hots earlier


Our final "happy" spider


5 comments:

Mel @ ShimmerMeBlue said...

Looks like you 2 had a great time with these activities! Thanks for sharing :)

Mommy of M's said...

How cute!

Carrie77 said...

I love all the fun activities you do with your son. I bet he loves it!! The oreo spiders look yummy!

Heatherlyn said...

I love the spider handprint and snack! What a great idea to have a theme for each week.

I think spiders belong outside. Away from the house! But my kids have a spider book and they really enjoy reading it.

For Halloween decorations we made handprint spiders. Only instead of using paint we traced our hands onto black cardstock. But the end result is similar. They are treasures to me. Our kids hands were so small when we first made them about 7 years ago!!!!! And they look pretty spookie too. I still need to laminate them!

~~Mel~~ said...

Wow Melissa...you come up with such great crafts and snacks.