Sunday, March 15, 2009

An "Activity"

In preparation for being a stay-at-home mom next year, I went ahead and bought a few books on learning activities to do with young children. I was looking through them last night when Aiden asked me what I was reading. I told him that we were going to use the books to come up with new activities. He wanted to do something right then, but it was bedtime.

First thing this morning, he ran into the living room and grabbed one of the books. He handed it to me and said, "We can do an activity now." One of the first tasks in the book focused on transferring from an object from one bowl to another with a spoon. Aiden can already do that easily so I changed it up a bit. We've been working on colors lately. So I got out three bowls and filled two with water. I added blue food coloring to one and yellow food coloring to the other. I then asked Aiden to transfer water from each bowl to an empty bowl to see what color they made when they were mixed together.







We also ended up making purple and orange as well. He really enjoyed this activity and spent almost an hour (an hour!!!) playing with the water. When we put it all away, he said, "Mommy, we do this again tomorrow, ok?"

9 comments:

Staci said...

What a great activity! I think I will have to do this with Anthony when Madison is napping since he is boycotting naps! Thanks for sharing!

blueviolet said...

An hour? That's fantastic and such a great idea!

Pam said...

Visiting from SITS. What a great activity. Sounds like you've got a little scientist there.

MyWorld said...

LOVE IT! I totally come to your site to steal activity ideas. What book is it?

~~Mel~~ said...

What a great activity!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

What a wonderful project and everything looks so clean. My boys would have it everywhere! LOL

The Rambler said...

What a great idea.

Visiting from Blueviolets blog. Loved your button! :)

Congratulations on the upcoming new lil one. :)

Heatherlyn said...

That is a really good idea.

It is amazing how entertained kids are by transferring water from one container to another. My kids could do it for a very long time. I think including the concept of mixing the colors was very smart of you!

MyWorld said...

We did this today! Huge hit!!