Saturday, March 21, 2009

First Heartbeat!

I went to the doctor for my 4 week check yesterday and I was finally able to hear my baby's heartbeat! It was so exciting!

I have been reading way too many posts about miscarriage in the September 2009 birth board on BabyCenter. It seems like an extraordinary number of women have had miscarriages. This may have happened on the May 2006 board as well, but I didn't find BabyCenter until after Aiden was born. I know I should just skip these threads, but I'm drawn to them. I feel like it would be worse not knowing. But then I get so paranoid. I went to my appointment yesterday fully not expecting to hear a heartbeat. When the doctor finally found it and it was 152bpm, I was ecstatic. I couldn't stop smiling for the rest of the day!

I have my 20 week ultrasound on May 1. I can't wait. It seems like forever from now! We hope to find out what we are having at that time, but until then, I'm having fun with the gender prediction tests!

I've read the Old Wives' tale that a heart rate over 140 is a girl and under 140 is a boy. Then I found a site called BabyBPM. It takes in the fact that the heart rate changes throughout pregnancy; starting out slow, speeding up, and then leveling off. So, this site tries to compare the baby's heart rate with the average for that gestational age. Here are my results:

babybpm fetal heart rate gender predictor

I know this test isn't very accurate because researchers have shown that there really isn't that much difference between the heart rates of a boy and girl, but it's still fun! And interesting that it says the same thing as Intelligender! I still say I'm having a girl....

10 comments:

Mel said...

I always loved hearing the HB! It seemed like a miracle every time! Between now and May 1 you can enjoy some other milestones, like showing a little more and little kicks and movements.

Jennifer said...

Yeah for beautiful sounds!

Pixeltrash said...

Awe. I'm sure Aiden will be a great big brother no matter if it is a boy or a girl. I thought for sure my second was going to be a girl because it was so different than my first pregnancy, but NO! It was a boy too. Good luck with your pregnancy!

susette said...

I'm coming over from Blog Stalkers Unite, asking for your help. I am in the running for a round trip airfare paid ticket to Connecticut, to meet a friend I became acquainted with through blogging. She is a super fun person and is holding this contest. I entered a funny story titled "Grapejuice Floaties, Now Marry Me." The person whose story receives the most votes will win a trip to meet this generous lady, whom I'm hoping to meet. The voting ends tonight I believe. I am ahead for now but there is a story coming up from behind out of nowhere and I would so, so, appreciate your help. Her blog is www.becausemomsaidso.blogspopt.com and the voting is on the sidebar on the right. "Grapejuice, Floaties" Just go there and cast a vote for me, please. Thanks so much-you're awesome! ♥

Aubrey said...

Oh, so exciting! One of my favorite sounds in the world!

Ms Cupcake said...

Good morning everybody! Have a wonderful fun Sunday from a fellow sitsa.

Checking in from Zen Cupcake

The Blonde Duck said...

That sounds so exciting! I hope the baby is a little girl!

~~Mel~~ said...

Wow both tests say boy...hmmm lol.

Glad you got to hear the baby's heartbeat!!! I'm sure it was a huge relief.

Hollie said...

Towards the end of my pregnancy with my 2 yr old I was in a state of constant panic. Oh she didn't kick enough today! Oh I haven't felt her move that much! Oh we are out of ice cream! heh. But everything was all good in the end.

Mommy of M's said...

Both of my boys had really fast heart beats too.