Friday, April 17, 2009

The Ant Farm: A Family Affair

A while back, I bought Aiden a mini ant farm for $1 at Target. We tried it out, but one of the air holes was cracked on the inside and all of the ants found their way out in a matter of minutes. Last night, I went by Target and picked out a new one. I inspected this one carefully before purchasing it.

My grandmother always cooks and invites my parents, my aunt and uncle, and me over for dinner on Friday nights. I was really excited about this ant farm (way more than Aiden!). I even called my dad to make sure he would be there so he could help me collect ants.

Some people go on fishing trips, others go deer or duck hunting, but our family searches for ants! As soon as dinner was over tonight, my dad, sister, uncle, Aiden and I went to find some ants.
.
The pamplet warned that it may take up to 3 days before the ants adjusted to the environment and began tunneling. I sat and stared at the ant hill for 30 minutes and nothing happened. I had no idea it would be so boring! I am sure it will get more exciting in a couple of days! LOL






Checking out his Ants!




5 comments:

Liz (Loving Mom 2 Boys) said...

So cute!!! And what a fun idea...if it wasn't for the fact that in the summer my entire house turns into an ant farm (no matter how hard I try to prevent it) I might get one as well....eh....maybe I will anyway

Lara said...

How fun!
BTW, your grandmothers yard looks beautiful!

Heatherlyn said...

I think it's really sweet that your family helped you search for ants. Do the ant farms work without a queen ant?

Carrie77 said...

How neat, an ant farm for a buck! I love how your whole family helped him find ants!

~~Mel~~ said...

What fun! That's great quality family time...I hope the ant farm gets a little more exciting to watch lol.