Thursday, April 2, 2009

Busy Ants

We had a really fun day today. After preschool, I took Aiden to the park. We usually walk to the one close to our house, but I've been having to run to the bathroom every 15 minutes (not much of an exaggeration...) so I took him to my favorite park which not only has a pond but also a restroom! Aiden had so much fun and he actually played with some other little boys at the park. He didn't cling to my legs or anything! Preschool is really helping to bring him out of his shell.

Yesterday after we finished our activity, Aiden immediately asked me, "What are we going to make tomorrow?" and I told him ants on a log. As soon as we got home from the park, Aiden asked, "When are we going to make the ants on the log?" He doesn't forget anything!

We read Ant and Honey Bee What a Pair! by Megan McDonald.


Then we did an "ant farm" activity!

The Supplies: gallon ziplock bag filled with sand, piece of paper cut to fit inside bag, glue, paintbrush, black paint


Painting with glue

Put glue paper in plastic bag and shake!


Scratching ant tunnels into the sand

Fingerprint ants

Back into the plastic bag... (It's supposed to be the glass tank)

Then of course, we had to make the ants on a log.

My very unhealthy version of ants on a log: pretzel sticks, icing, chocolate chunks cut into pieces


Putting on the ants


A Perfect Bedtime Snack... I know...

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yum! I wish my mom's version of ants on a log involved chocolate. We always used celery, cream cheese, and raisins.

kimert said...

You are such a cool mom!! I love all your craft projects that go with the books you've read. :) Thanks for the little bit of inspiration. I am hoping to do some of these with my 3 yr old son this summer.

Heatherlyn said...

What great activities!!! I bet he LOVES having you as a mom. I really like your idea of a theme for the week and then a different aspect of that theme (in this case, a different bug) each day. That is a great idea!

The Blonde Duck said...

You are such a cool mom! I love all this stuff you do with your son!

Kara said...

I love your version of ants on a log. I will definitely be trying that with my little ones!

Carrie77 said...

Your son is so lucky to have a mom that does so many neat crafts with him!! I am def. going to do the ants on a log craft with Nathan.

~~Mel~~ said...

When you said ants on a log I totally pictured celery, cheez whiz and raisins...that's we had when I was a kid lol.

Great craft!