Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Dirt, Worms, & an Earth-y Collage

I decided last night that I was going to let Aiden do a super messy and fun Earth Day activity today. And it was a little messy, but it went great! I really thought about taking him around the neighborhood and picking up litter, but I think he still might be a little young for that. I can just see what that could lead to! Every where we went, I would have to worry about his dirty hands! Anyway....

This morning I told Aiden that we were going to make a special snack. When I told him that it was going to be dirt and worms, he wasn't much for the idea! He said, "Eww! That will be dirty!" When I explained the gummy worms, he was so excited. He loves all things gummy.

Jello pudding, cookies, and gummy worms


I let him crunch up the cookies with his hammer. He thought that was something!

When he saw the milk, his eyes got huge. He said, "I get to pour it in there?!"


Adding the worms


Throwing some dry dirt on top!

He was doing his crazy fake smile and I told him, "Don't smile. Just look at me like you love me!"



He enjoyed making the snack, but didn't want to eat it. He took a bite and said that it was good but he didn't want any more. He really isn't a big chocolate fan (just like Daddy). He prefers other candy like Skittles, gummies, lollipops, and smarties (Blah!). He wouldn't even eat the gummy worms (even after I wiped them off) because they were "dirty"! No chocolate covered gummy worms for my little boy!

After snack, we were ready to do our Earth collage. We went outside and collected any nature thing that Aiden decided to put in the box. We got twigs, rocks, flowers, grass, leaves, and blossoms from trees.



While looking for items for the box, Aiden found a caterpillar and carried it around for the remainder of our search. He loved it!

I then gave him three containers of earth items: dirt, sand, and salt


He used a glue stick to cover his construction paper


Then I told him to put some salt, sand, and dirt on the glue. Instead of getting it out with his fingers, he decided to pour out every bowl on his paper...


It really wasn't that messy though. I shook off the excess over the trash can


Then we used school glue to glue on the heavier items


Tada! A very cute collage!

I think Aiden had a pretty fun Earth Day!

10 comments:

Kati said...

He had quite the daY!

Its official.. you have to give me the heads up on projects BEFORE you do them.. seriously.. I am NOT creative at all!

kimert said...

WoW!! You guys had a busy Earth Day! :)

My boy would have had the same reaction to the chocolate as Aiden did. Too funny!

I need to know the secret place you get all your craft ideas. ;)

pam said...

You are always doing the best activities!! The creative juices are flowing.

Carrie77 said...

I make Nathan a dirt cake for Halloween every year with the worms and I use Milano cookies for tombstones..I love how yours was in individual cups. The craft is great, I can totally see Nathan picking up things from outside like leaves, petals, etc..so cute!

Liz (Loving Mom 2 Boys) said...

So fun!!! What great activities to do on Earth day!!! I might have to borrow these ideas myself for this weekend!!

Heatherlyn said...

I love the pudding snack. I think that's so funny that he wouldn't eat it! The earth collage was a really good idea. Your such a good Mom!

Jessica said...

That looks like so much fun! How do you come up with your ideas?

~~Mel~~ said...

My mom used to make us mud, dirt and worms all the time!!! I can't believe I've never thought to make it for riley.

Great collage!

King J's Queen said...

Food art...yum! Dirt dessert is super cool. Love it!

*sara* said...

I just made a similar dirt dessert for my big kid husband the other day! Yum!