Tuesday, April 21, 2009

An Early Earth Day Activity

My grandma is leaving tomorrow morning for Germany. She will be gone for an entire month! So there's going to be a lot of Mommy and Aiden time! That means, I am going to have to come up with a ton of activities!

Since tomorrow is Earth Day, I thought we would go ahead and start "celebrating" a little early. I read something today saying that children in his age group should not be taught about Earth Day because they are too young to understand it. I have to say, I disagree. Aiden knows that littering is not good~ and that's a start!

Before beginning our activity, I told Aiden that everyone lives on the planet Earth and then I showed him a picture of the Earth and asked him what colors it was. I kept it simple. I told him that the blue was water and the green was land and that the Earth was made up mostly of water. Then we were ready to begin...

Painting the water


We used a sponge to add some land


A medicine dropper to add some mountains... Using that medicine dropper was hard work!



This activity is meant to be done by two children. One is supposed to do the green and the other is supposed to do the brown. The two circles are then pressed together to make the Earth!

Aiden with his "mountain" circle and "land" circle

Pressing them together

The final product. I think they turned out pretty cute!

And look there's even one for Grandma!


10 comments:

kimert said...

Love that craft!! We may have to try that out Thursday, late for Earth day but it will be something fun for the kids to do. :) thanks for sharing.

B said...

I love this idea! My little girl is only 7 weeks old so maybe my husband and I will do this :) And by the way - I found you through my best friend KIMERT!!! And I'm so glad I did!

Carrie77 said...

Such a cute idea and I never even thought of doing a craft for Earth Day. I love the picture of him making the mountains.

Staci said...

very cute! I love how they turned out!

Sarah said...

I like this idea! Time get the paint out I think!

Cher said...

those are soo cute! you know..you could probably sell them at some art show for some big bucks. I've seen "art" that is not NEARLY as good as that that sells for thousands! :) Stopping in from SITS..have a great day!

sandy said...

They look great!

The Blonde Duck said...

I love all these activities you do!

Heatherlyn said...

Smashing the two together turned out surprisingly well. It's amazing how much kids enjoy painting, isn't it?

~~Mel~~ said...

What? Too young for Earth Day? That doesn't even make sense...as you said Aiden totally understands the basic concept!

Love how your activity turned out!