Thursday, April 30, 2009

Talking Baby Names

Today is (hopefully) the last day to share the baby names that we are thinking about since the big ultrasound is tomorrow. By tomorrow evening, I hope my baby has a name that I can begin calling him/her.

When I was pregnant with Aiden, I looked through baby name books. I searched the Internet. I thought about names from the moment I found out that I was pregnant. Matt really wanted to give our baby an Irish name which brought me to spending hours looking through Irish baby name websites and daydreaming about our future baby. We decided on Aiden for a boy and Kylee (spelled this way because both my mom' s and his dad's middle name is Lee) for a girl. Once we found out we were having a boy, I told everyone what his name was going to be and I started calling the baby by name when I would talk to him. Then the day Aiden was born, Matt wanted to change the name we had decided on! Needless to say, it didn't happen! Not after all that bonding...

So when we found out that we were expecting this little one, I decided I would let Matt pick out the name (unless he chose something that I absolutely couldn't stand!). Matt is an avid reader and he chose names for the baby from a couple of books that he liked. I had no idea that he was such a big fan of J.D. Salinger, but these names come from two different books by this author! So, the names are:

For a boy: Holden Thomas (Holden is from Catcher in the Rye). When we told Aiden this name, he said, "How about Percy or James?" He thought the middle name was after Thomas the train! I thought that was so funny!

For a girl: Zoey Belle (From Franny and Zooey). Matt really wants to spell this name Zooey. And I have seen it spelt like that before, but I just don't want people to call her Zoo-E. I finally made the argument this evening that Matt will hardly ever write this name and I will write it all the time. He finally said it didn't really matter to him. And I had one other issue with this name. I think it's a super cute name and it's really popular right now, but I have a bloggy friend who has a daughter named Zoey and I didn't want to be a name stealer! But Matt convinced me that it was OK. LOL

So, those are our names!

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

I hope the little one cooperates at your ultrasound! Can't wait to see pics! I love the name choices and I don't think your bloggy mom friend will mind at all!

Sarah said...

Good luck at your ultrasound! Great names, although I got a giggle out of the Thomas the Train names. Cute!

Kara said...

I really like the names! That is the same reason our Kylee is spelled that way. She is named after my 12 year old brother-in-law that passed away about a month before we found out we were pregnant with her. His middle name is Lee.

Carole said...

I want KyLee!!! LOL Bring it back!!! No no those are both very nice names. Stong boys name and a pretty girls name. Great job! What a nice wife to let him pick the name!
You look great hope all is well!

carole
xoxo

~~Mel~~ said...

You are not name stealing! That gave me a chuckle.

I love the names you've chosen. I hope the little one cooperates and you'll soon know what you are having.

Riley used to love Thomas...I miss those days.

Kristin said...

LOVE the name Holden. Tried to name my little dude that but got vetoed. We settled on Reed. Good luck at your ultrasound. It's such an exciting one!

MaryAnne said...

Lovely names - good luck with the ultrasound!

Carrie77 said...

I love Kylee and Holden. :o) You are so nice to let him decide... heheheh!

jen@odbt said...

Great names. I hope the little one cooperates during the ultrasound.

Aubrey said...

How did the ultrasound go?!?! Pink or Blue??

Choosing baby names is SO exciting. I kind of did what your hubby did with baby #1. My hubby picked a name and when the baby was born, I was like nope. This is it instead! LOL He chose baby #2s first name and I chose the middle name. With our LAST one (LOL) we FOUGHT over names. Good times.

kimert said...

I love the names you have picked out! :) I also hope your ultrasound went well.

Heatherlyn said...

I like both names very much. I hope you post soon about your ultrasound so that I don't worry!

My new URL is

http://plantingseedsofhappiness.blogspot.com/

I'm not sure if you have to refollow the blog or just change the URL when you manage the blogs you follow. I hope it's not terribly complicated!