Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A Messy Sandy Starfish

Yesterday was a really trying day for me! It seemed like Aiden was trying to push all of my buttons to see just how much he could get away with. While I went to check on the laundry, he emptied red bath confetti all over the floor and put water on it. Eeek! What a mess! Then while I was cooking dinner, he emptied a bottle of bubbles on the carpet. Luckily, it was a small bottle with not much left in it. It just went on and on. I just didn't feel like posting our "sea creature of the day" last night. I went to bed as soon as Aiden did! Today is already a much better day.

So, where do I get my ideas? I got the design for our starfish from the Crafty kids book from the post below. But I also taught preschool for 3 years. I have notebooks full of activities that I did with my classes. I got a lot of ideas from teachers I worked with as well as curriculum books designed for the school I worked at. If I have a particular theme in mind, I often google it. For example, Ocean crafts for preschoolers. I've found lots of good ideas this way. And believe it or not... I come up with some of these ideas all by myself!

The starfish activity from the Crafty Kids book focused on the assembly of the starfish. The adult cuts out all of the pieces and the child simply puts everything together. Aiden finds this type of activity kinda boring, so I added a few ideas of my own.


I LOVE textured paint. And I thought it would be fun to make some sandy paint to paint the starfish. Not only because it sticks with the ocean theme but because it makes the paint really thick and when it dries, the paint has a really hard, bumpy texture~ just like a starfish!








We added some Cheerios as the suction cups. Aiden was more interested in eating them than putting them in his art!



Painting the water:



The finished product. This isn't as pretty as some of our other projects, but Aiden had fun with the process!


5 comments:

April said...

I just love all the crafts you do. I havne't been reading too much but was just catching up on your blog. Congrats on the new baby BOY!!!!!

MaryAnne said...

I love the idea of textured paint to make it feel like a starfish - I should try this with Emma, I bet she'd love it!

Heatherlyn said...

That turned out pretty well! And I love your theme weeks. I'll have to try this during a few weeks of the summer. My kids would love it!

Carrie77 said...

LOVE the cheerio suction cups!

~~Mel~~ said...

Don't ya just hate it when they push your buttons???

I love all your crafty ideas.