Monday, May 4, 2009

A Week of Sea Creatures

I've been slacking in the craft department lately because I have been so exhausted. Aiden kindly reminded me that I need to step it up by asking, "Can we make something soon?" It made me feel guilty. I can't punish him because I'm tired. I'll just have to find a way to deal with the exhaustion. We made a trip to the library and while we were there, I found this book:



I let Aiden look through it and pick out a craft that he would like to make. He chose a hermit crab. So I decided to do an ocean/ sea creature theme for this week.

Painting the hermit crab's shell (the edges of a paper plate)


This is why you never answer your phone while doing an art activity with a preschooler. Sequins all over the floor... Aiden got these from the art cabinet and opened them while I was searching for my ringing cell phone.


Aiden came up with this idea on his own. He decorated the shell with our sea themed sequins.

Preparing the "sand"

Adding some texture ...

Our finished hermit crab!

9 comments:

Jessica said...

best looking hermit crab I've seen! :D

I'm going to have to get that book-thanks for sharing!

kimert said...

SO very cute!!! Love the sea themed craft idea. :) I too think I will have to look for that book.

jen@odbt said...

You do the best crafts. Do you ever frame any of his pieces? I have an empty frame hanging up and tape the latest masterpiece in there until the next one show up.

Mommy of M's said...

How cute!!

Carrie77 said...

I was missing your crafts, too! heheh! I LOVE the crab! Awesome!

Heatherlyn said...

Oh dang! That is soooo cute! Too bad you guys can't take naps together!!! But I love the crafts. Are you doing a sea creature each day of the week then?

~~Mel~~ said...

I can't imagine being pregnant and trying to keep up with a toddler! You are doing a good job mama.

Love how the crab turned out.

pam said...

He is such a creative little boy!! I love that he loves all the crafts he does. Good job Mom!!

youngknitter123 said...

I love how the crab turned out i have so real live hermit crabs and it almost looks like one of them if you take off the paint and secuins