Saturday, August 8, 2009

A Night in the ER...

Let me start by saying, I overreacted and everyone is fine.

My grandmother asked me earlier this week if she and my aunt could take Aiden to South Carolina to see my fifteen year old cousin on her birthday. At first I agreed, but as the week went on, I started getting a really bad feeling about the trip. I know it's silly and statistically you are more likely to get into an accident close to home. But like I said, I just did not want him to spend 6 hours in a car (3 there, 3 back) especially since we have the drive to DC next weekend. My grandma was really upset with me, but I felt right about my decision.

Then as soon as we get to my parents' house yesterday evening, Aiden rushes to play with my little sister who has a friend over. Mandy plays with him for about five minutes before throwing a blanket over his head and sneaking upstairs. Aiden thinks it's all a game and jumps off the couch and runs after her. The next thing I hear is pounding on wood and a scream. (Aiden NEVER cries unless he's really hurt.) Apparently, he slipped on the blanket and fell on the stairs. He runs to me and his right temple already has a huge blue knot on it and the corner of his eye is bleeding. My first reaction was, it looks bad, but he's fine. When my mom saw it she said, "You have to take him to the emergency room!" With all of the head injury headlines in the news recently, I thought it would be better to be safe than sorry. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something happened to him because I wouldn't take him to the hospital.

We went to the children's ER and he seemed fine. He played with all of the toys and made a friend in the waiting area. We had to wait for three hours before they even took him to triage and by that time he was looking a lot better. When we finally saw the doctor, she looked at his pupils and checked for fractures around his eye. She then gave us a sheet of things to watch out for and sent us on our way. Thank goodness he was OK! I am going to watch him like a hawk around the stairs for the rest of the week!

I don't think you can really tell how bad it was from this picture, but I was so surprised (and happy) to see how much better his face looked this morning.


So the fall and trip to the ER could explain my bad feeling... Maybe I should let him go on that trip to South Carolina after all?

8 comments:

kimert said...

poor babe!! glad he is ok!

Amy B said...

Being the mom to 4 boys and one girl...I can FEEL your pain. LOL
I am glad he was okay.
I understand why you might be a lil worried about him going on the trip. But think of it like this. It will be fun for him. Gmom and Aunt will get some great bonding time. And um...soon you will have a baby. Take the time he is gone to rest and take some "YOU" time.

Jessica [Mommy to a 3 yr old drama queen] said...

I can barely handle leaving my baby for an hour, I wouldnt have let him go either!

Carrie77 said...

Aww, I am glad he is ok! I hate when they take nasty falls :(

Molly said...

I am so glad he is okay! I don't think I would let my little guy go either. I would miss him too much! You should always go with your gut. What if something like that had happened when he wan't with you?? You did good, girlie.

Jessica said...

Oh I hate it when they get hurt!

As for the trip-I don't know if you should let him go or not. THat is between you and Matt I suppose, but I am the same way about things like that. I have a hard time letting my little one go on little trips without me much less a long one like that!

~~Mel~~ said...

Oh boy! Poor little guy!

pam said...

I am so glad he is fine, that would of scared me too.

I see baby is soon to be here!!