Sunday, September 6, 2009

An Activity for Aiden

Well, I'm feeling much better today! And I wanted to thank everyone for their nice thoughts and comments. After taking a shower and 3 warm baths, my back labor eased enough for me to do an activity with Aiden. (I have to admit, I've not been a very fun mommy lately.)

Aiden has been playing with play-doh a lot this past week. He got a set of letter cookie cutters for his birthday and he has been fascinated with looking through books of animals and trying to match the letters in their names with his cookie cutter letters. He will then cut the letters out and spell the names with his play-doh. He gets so excited when he finishes a name! It's really cute. I was looking through my folder of preschool activities and came across a recipe for play dough. I've always been to lazy to do it because it requires cooking! But I thought Aiden might enjoy it so I asked if him if he would like to make some glitter dough. Of course he said yes!

The Ingredients and Recipe:

Combine:

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • 1 tsp. cream of tartar

Add and whisk until smooth:

  • 1 cup water
  • 1 Tbsp oil
  • Food coloring
  • Glitter (We added this on our own since Aiden still LOVES glitter! Once it's cooked in the play dough, it doesn't come off on your hands)

Cook over medium heat until play dough is nearly set.

Add: 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract (This is supposed to improve texture and also gives the play dough a nice scent)

Stir until vanilla is blended, then remove and knead when cool. Store in Ziploc bag or air tight container.




Cooking the play dough:


Oh what a mess!!! (But it was actually really easy to clean up)

Aiden using his letters

and being a little goofy!


Aiden had a fun time making this glitter play dough and I love the recipe. I love the texture of the play dough and the smell too! We will definitely be making it again in the future. Aiden has already planned out all of the colors we're going to make!

4 comments:

~*~ Melissa ~*~ said...

That's cool. I always wanted to make playdoh. Parker still likes it and I think they'd both like making it.

kimert said...

I have never gotten brave enough to make playdoh with my two. LOL thanks for sharing the recipe! Looks like a great time! :)

Glad you are feeling better.

Carrie77 said...

I made the sweet smelling play dough recipe from the Highlights book but never thought of adding glitter! How cool!

~~Mel~~ said...

Great idea in adding some vanilla...I always hate the smell of play doh.

I love Aiden's goofy pics!