Friday, September 11, 2009

Holden Thomas is Here!!!

I had my scheduled c-section on September 8. I had to call labor and delivery at 5:00 that morning and they asked me to be there at 7. Once I got to the hospital, they immediately took me back and put me on an IV and started drawing blood. Then they informed me that they couldn't find any of my records and the surgeon wasn't happy because he wanted to confirm the dates just to make sure the baby wasn't going to be too early. So, I sat there hooked to my IV and feeling extremely nervous for an entire hour before they finally located my chart. UGH!!! I don't recommend transferring hospitals at 36 weeks!

Waiting....
and showing off my support stockings that I got to wear for the last three weeks (with capris and flip flops! LOL)

Finally, they made me walk through the waiting area(!) to the operating room. I was so nervous at this point that I was shaking. The anesthesiologist immediately started my spinal and wow! It was painful! I don't remember it being like that with Aiden. At one point, I felt an electric shock run through the entire right side of my body and the doctor said, "Oops!"

Did I mention that I'm going to a teaching hospital? The "President's hospital", but still a teaching facility! They were showing some of the residents how to clean the area they were getting ready to cut and I heard them say, "Just think about mowing a lawn. Overlap and make sure everything is covered. We don't want to cause an infection." And then they felt the need to tell me that a third year resident was going to do my surgery...

I was able to calm down a little when Matt was allowed to come in. He held my hand and tried his best to comfort me. l was really scared from my past experience and acted like a big baby... When I had Aiden, I was in labor for 21 hours before the emergency c-section. I had been given two epidurals and a spinal and I didn't have any feeling whatsoever below my forehead. I was so afraid that was going to happen again. Also, when I had Aiden, I lost a lot of blood and since my iron was really low this time (at my last appointment, my doctor discussed using general anesthesia in case my levels were too low on the day of the surgery) I was terrified that I was going to have some kind of problem. I cried almost the entire time they were doing my surgery and Matt kept reassuring me that everything was going well. Even after hearing Holden crying, I couldn't calm down until I was in the recovery area!

Obviously, I wasn't able to hold Holden right away, but the doctors let Matt hold him by my head while they finished sewing my incision and cleaning me up. Seeing your baby for the first time is just amazing. There just aren't words to describe it. He was perfect! And I fell in love with him immediately...


The Stats:
DOB: September 8, 2009 at 9:53 AM
Weight: 8lbs 5oz
Length: 21 in


So, I'm not sure how many hospitals still have nurseries, but neither of the hospitals I have delivered at have them. I was very fortunate that my dad was able to come and stay with me while I was in hospital. Matt wasn't able to miss school and my mom wasn't able to get off work either (she will be staying with us next week). My recovery (being able to walk and go to the bathroom by myself) went really well and I was actually able to go home 48 hours after having my c-section.


Our first picture at home with our two babies!
(Yikes! I'm looking a little rough, but I did just have a baby!

Aiden LOVES being a big brother. He helps me out so much and really wants to be involved with Holden, but that's another post! It's taken me an entire day to write this one! Looks like we're going to be pretty busy for awhile!

14 comments:

Carrie77 said...

Congrats, I love the last picture of the two boys together.

Staci said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful family you have!!!! I <3 the last picture! Precious!!!!

kimert said...

Congrats!!!! You have a beautiful new baby and family!

Kara said...

Congratulations! What a handsome little boy! Oh, and the family picture is priceless. You have a beautiful little family.

~~Mel~~ said...

Yes you did just have a baby and I think you look great!

Holden is gorgeous! Congrats.

joannamarieprice@yahoo.com said...

Congrats!!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations! He is absolutely perfect and gorgeous!!!

Jenny/Moravia said...

Congrats! He's such a cutie and you look great!

Jennifer said...

Congratulations! He is so handsome! You will love having two little boys, it's the best! Your family picture is great, very beautiful family.

Jessica said...

Congratulations!!!!!!
He is GORGEOUS! You look great!

I love the last picture of the two boys!

Miss Eve said...

Congratulations for you! Love the last picture of the boys :-)

Blessing: Evi

Lara said...

COngrats!!! Holden is adorable and you still looked beautiful right after delivery!

Molly said...

He is perfect! Congrats!
You look beautiful after delivery, and I am so happy that all went well for you.

Karen said...

Congratulations!! He is just adorable. I have a friend who has a 3 year old also named Holden Thomas.