Wednesday, December 2, 2009

25 Days of Christmas

Wow. It's been a long time! Now that it's December, I've decided to do the 25 days of Christmas with Aiden like I did last year. We are going to do a Christmas related activity every day from now until Christmas (putting up the Christmas tree, visiting Santa, holiday parties, etc). And of course I'm already late with my postings!

And I'm going to do a bloggy catch up with some Halloween and Thanksgiving photos as soon as my dad sends me the pictures. I have been a little overwhelmed lately. I have a deadline for my thesis now. I have to know EVERYTHING about the kidneys by January and Holden isn't really cooperating. He is such a needy baby! I still can't lay him down at night and it's really hard to write with a crying baby sitting in a swing right beside you! I know it will get done, but it's exhausting!

Anyway, tomorrow we are going to a Cookie Exchange playdate! So today's activity was making cookies! I am a big chocolate fan and decided to try out a new recipe: Martha Stewart's Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies.
The Ingredients

Mmmm Chocolate and Butter!


This was the first time I've melted something like this! The gas burner only went out twice before I realized that I needed to simmer less water! It doesn't take me long...


Aiden loves helping! While I was trying to figure out how to melt the chocolate, he poured out half the bottle of baking soda into the bowl. He then tried to pour it into the 1/2 tsp and ended up getting it all over the table. Thinking that I would be upset, he ran to the linen closet and got a washcloth to clean it up (by brushing it all in the floor!) Oh, well. I've become quite used to vacuuming twice a day!


Adding sugar to the melted chocolate. He said, "Mommy, I think you're using too much sugar!"

After, mixing the flour mixture into the chocolate, I glanced at the recipe again. Step 7: fold in chocolate chunks. OK, well maybe I should have known that we needed chocolate chunks since the recipe is called double chocolate chunk cookies, but they weren't in the list of ingredients! I had to put the batter in the refrigerator until Matt was able to stop by the store on his way home. The dough got really hard and I couldn't really stir the chunks into it. I wasn't sure if they would turn out right, but they tasted fine to me! Very chocolatey!

This is how Holden felt about the whole cookie making experience! He cried almost the entire time...

....Until I put him in the wrap. (He's still a little mad at me in this picture though!)

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm with you on the vacuuming twice a day thing. Ugh. Those cookies look delicious!

Holden looks so big and handsome! Love that wrap.

Jessica said...

How fun! You are such a great mommy!

Those cookies look delicious!

Queenie Jeannie said...

Ah! Poor Holden!!

Those cookies look delish!!! But I think you had best send some to me to be sure....

Carrie77 said...

Haha, I remember the days when Autumn was so needy... Oh those cookies look SO good, I love chocolate... So glad to see a blog post from you!!