Thursday, December 10, 2009

A Frosted Snowman Treat

When I was at Target the other day, I saw a kit to make frosted snowman Rice Krispie's treats. I just love kits so I picked it up. Besides I had never made rice krispie treats before and thought it would be fun to do something different.


The kit contained enough rice krispies to make two snowmen and some accessories like a hat or arms, icing, gum drops, candy balls, and blue sugar crystals, and a snowman pan (Obviously Aiden was in a silly mood and wouldn't cooperate with pictures)

Preparing the marshmallow mixture.


Stirring the marshmallow into the rice krispies

I don't think we were given enough marshmallow mixture or perhaps I cooked it too long, but the rice krispies just wouldn't stick together right.


Well, they stuck together enough to form the snowman, but they started coming apart when we put the icing on. (And then when you tried to pick up a piece to eat, they would completely crumble. We had to use a fork to eat them, but they were still pretty tasty. )



Aiden dumped the entire pack of sugar crystals in a pile on one snowman and then had to spread it out with his hands


I thought he would enjoy doing the candy decorating, but no. He asked me to put all the candy in a bowl and he proceeded to dump it on the snowman.

I tried to show him how to make a face but he had no interest. Here's what he came up with:

Next time if I try this activity I will not buy the kit. I will use the recipe from the rice krispie website. It would have been much better if the treats would have stayed together!

4 comments:

Carrie77 said...

Haha, love his silly faces. He sounds just like Nathan when it comes to decorating. heheh.. Cute!! I have never made rice krispy treats either, but they sound so good right now.

kimert said...

What a cute kit!! I love what Aiden did with his snowmen...very cute and creative! ;)

BLOGitse said...

Great - that's the way they learn what cooking, baking is about!
Well done!
Greetings from Cairo! :)

Namine said...

That's so fun!! Thanks for visiting my blog!! Have a good weekend