Friday, December 4, 2009

A Glittery Christmas (Ornament)

When Aiden got up this morning, I told him, "It's December 4th." Obviously, the date doesn't mean anything to him, but when I bought him one of those chocolate Advent calendars at Target after Thanksgiving, I explained that he got to open a door every day in December until it was Christmas. As soon as he gets up, he grabs the calendar and brings it to me. He then asks me what Christmas activity we're doing that day. I have no idea how I'm going to come up with original activities every year (I'm probably not!), but he loves this tradition.

Today, we made wreath picture frame ornaments. I had everything set out on the table and when he saw the rice in the little bowls and glitter, he got so excited. Of course that's when Holden decided it was time to eat! Aiden threw his hands in the air and exclaimed, "That's going to take forever!"


First, I cut circles out of cardboard and we painted them green. (Aiden and I both made one. I need one to put Holden's picture in too)


Then we added green and red food coloring to the little bowls of rice and stirred them up with toothpicks. Of course Aiden loved playing in the rice.


We painted glue on our green circles and spooned on the green rice.



We then added some red "berries" and some glitter because sparkles make everything more fun!


I then cut out a picture of Aiden and put in the frame. When I showed it to him, he was so excited! He said, "Is that me in the wreath?!" I told Aiden that I needed to get a picture of Holden to put in the frame I made. (I have tons of pictures of him, but they are all on the computer.) He said, "No, Mommy. You need to get a picture of you. You're the one that made it."

As soon as we were finished with our Christmas activity, Aiden asked to do another craft. I think he's really been missing our art time. I am going to try to keep this up even after Christmas. It's so easy to skip when Holden's being needy and I'm tired, but I need to spend some one on one time with Aiden too.

6 comments:

kimert said...

Glad to see your back! :) I've missed your crafty posts.
Today's craft looks super fun!

Oh and GO VOLS! ;) love the orange.

Jessica said...

I love it! You are such a good mommy! I know exactly what you mean about pushing those things aside. It's hard to keep up the extras with a new baby around!

Kelly said...

These are too cute! Thanks for the idea!

Crazy Mommy Katy said...

Very Cute!

~~Mel~~ said...

They turned out so great! Glad to see you posting I've really missed your updates!

Carrie77 said...

Great craft!! I have missed your crafty posts, I am excited you are back!