Sunday, December 6, 2009

Health Food

I mean technically there IS milk in chocolate. And milk is healthy, right? Yeah. It's a stretch...

Aiden and I just made what is probably the MOST unhealthy (but super yummy) cookie bars I've ever had! A few years ago we went to a Christmas party and someone had made this fudge with Oreo pieces in it. Well, Matt loved it and I decided that I was going to surprise him by making some. So I searched for Oreo fudge and came up with this recipe:

Ingredients
1 18 oz. package of Oreo cookies
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips (separated in 1/2 cups)
1 cup white chocolate chips, melted

Directions
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Line a 9×13 pan with foil and lightly spray with cooking spray. Set aside 6 Oreo cookies for the topping.

Crush the remaining cookies into fine crumbs. Add the salt to the crumbs and stir to combine. Melt butter and gently stir together with the cookie crumb mixture. Press firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Coarsely chop the remaining cookies into chunks and set aside.

Melt 3/4 cup semi-sweet and 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips together with the condensed milk and vanilla. Stir frequently until smooth. Spread evenly over the prepared cookie crust.

Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of milk chocolate chips and the Oreo cookie chunks over the top of the filling. Press down gently into the chocolate topping. Bake for 20. Allow bars to cool on counter for 1 hour. Melt white chocolate chips and drizzle over the bars. Chill in fridge until completely cold.

This wasn't exactly the recipe I was looking for (what I wanted is called Cookies and Cream fudge and I will make that next week!), but this recipe sounded good so I decided to try it. And let me tell you these cookie bars were DELICIOUS!!!


Aiden was really impressed by the amount of chocolate I set in front of him!


Aiden is always wanting to use "Daddy's hammer". What better time to let him try it out?


He kept trying to sneak cookies out of the bowl! Here he's pouring the butter into the cookie crumb mixture.

The cookie crust


Melting the chocolate filling


The bars before going into the oven

Measuring out the chocolate chips was Aiden's favorite part. He poured them from cup to bowl over and over again the entire time the bars were in the oven!


The finished bars


I should have taken a picture of them once they were cut and put on a plate. In fact I would still do that if they weren't already gone! We have no self control when it comes to chocolate! Matt and I both agreed that this was the best chocolate dessert that we've ever had!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I don't think I can put into words how delicious that looks.

Shell said...

Those look so good! I love having the holidays as an excuse to do all sorts of yummy baking.

Carrie77 said...

Ok I could really use one of those right about now! YUM!