Saturday, December 12, 2009

Salt Dough Ornaments

I really like homemade ornaments and hope to have one Christmas tree decorated only with ornaments that Aiden and Holden have made one day. Last Christmas Aiden and I tried to make gingerbread ornaments and they turned out really badly! I'm going to attempt them again this year with a different recipe. Anyway, today we made some salt dough ornaments.

Matt came in and said, "Didn't you guys do these last year and they didn't turn out?"

Simple ingredients: 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup water, 1 cup flour

Stirring it up!


Cutting it out


Before going in the oven. We used a straw to make holes to thread the string in the ornament. (We baked the ornaments at 250 for 2 hours)


After the ornaments were completely cooled, we painted them.

And added some glitter!

Finished! I painted a layer of sealer on the ornaments to preserve them.

I am going to add gold string to the ornaments and tie them onto some of the Christmas presents that we are giving our parents. I think they will like them too.

11 comments:

Shell said...

Very cool! I've been looking for more ornaments to make with my kids!

parentingBYdummies said...

Wow! Those came out very nicely. And, they don't look too hard. Maybe an anti-crafter like me could even accomplish that without incident. Stopping by from SITS...happy holidays!

~~Mel~~ said...

I just know there must be flour in that recipe somewhere...lol.

They turned out great...perhaps something Riley and I will try!

Kati said...

Oooh! I love them! What kind of sealer did you use? I want to do these with the kids.

Heatherlyn said...

Aren't you glad you tried again? They look fantastic! I love salt dough ornaments!

Carrie77 said...

I really love how they turned out. So cute!

Taylor @ Jimmy Choos and a Baby Too said...

how fun! love your blog!

Montessori Moments said...

What a CUTE blog! I love the ornaments! Come on over and visit me! My post today is about Ornaments too....

~Shelley~ said...

Very cute idea! My 5yo son would love making these!

Karen said...

Love these ornaments! I think that my mom may have a few left that we made as kids. I have been wanting to make an ornament with Michael.

Mama to 3 Blessings said...

Cute idea - too late for this year but a great idea for next year! :)
Nicole
http://mamato3blessings.blogspot.com/