Sunday, December 20, 2009

Snowed In? Make a snowman (or three)

When everyone was stocking up and acting all crazy on Friday about this snow storm, I thought they were nuts! But apparently, they were on to something. We got a ton of snow this weekend! And the entire place shut down. Forget ordering pizza! Even the grocery store was closed. This is the sixth biggest snow that Washington DC has ever had. And in our little DC suburb, we got almost two feet of snow! Aiden had a blast. It's quite unbelievable to think this was a normal day for me from November until March when we lived in Anchorage. That seems like such a long time ago!

This is right out in front of apartment

And this is the street

It seemed like everyone in the neighborhood was out and Aiden even made a new friend! There were children screaming and laughing. People helping each other dig their cars out of the snow. What a great winter day!
Matt built a snowman for Aiden, but since the snow didn't really want to pack, Aiden lost interest.


When Aiden finally got too tired and cold to continue playing in the snow, we came inside and "made a craft." I found this cute idea on Montessori Moments. (If you like doing projects with your children, you should definitely check this blog out!) We made playdough a while back but this recipe was slightly different from the one I used and I loved the idea of building a snowman with it!

Getting ready

A snowman in progress

Here's the one I made. Aiden couldn't stop laughing at it!

And here is one more snowman craft. We actually did this on Thursday and it's taken quite a whie to dry so I'm just going to tie into a big snowman theme for the weekend! This is such a cute little craft. I made these snowmen with my preschool class in Anchorage and I knew Aiden would love it since he's a big fan of pouring glue! (Montessori Moments has a similar glue craft.)

First I drew a snowman on waxed paper, cut out a hat and a nose, and picked out some sequins and glitter.

I traced the snowman shape so Aiden would be able to keep the glue within the boundaries.

Aiden added the glitter and made the face all by himself.

It took a couple of days to dry, but then it peeled right off the wax paper. I think it's so neat that you can make something just with glue!

I am going to put one of those hanging suction cups on it and hang it in the window. I think it would be really cute to make smaller ones and use them as ornaments as well.

20 comments:

Shell said...

That is a lot of snow!

I love the glue snowman! My oldest did a glue ghost at Halloween. And we made some round ornaments for our tree(putting the glue in the lid to pringles and then peeling it out when it dried), but I didn't think of a snowman!

Jessica said...

I can't believe all that snow! How fun! Well, I imagine it may not be that fun if you live in it constantly, but down here in Texas we barely see a snowflake every few years!

Heading over to check out montessori moments!

ps-cute cute pic of you and Holden! He is starting to look like big bro I think!

Mommy to a lil lady[bug] said...

Thats alot of snow! Thank goodness we didnt get that much I hate snow!

Thanks for the crafty ideas!!!

bluecottonmemory said...

Won't the glue snowman melt in the sun? I LOVE your SNOW! I WANT IT! One great point - NEVER eat yellow snow! LOL Have you made snow cream yet?

Merry Christmas!!

Gabrielle said...

That snow is amazing!!!

Paige said...

The snow is so beautiful! And I love the craft ideas. Thanks for sharing! Just stopping by from SITS.

Adriana said...

I am so jealous! We hardly ever get snow in Texas. It looks like your little guy had SO much fun! Great playdough snowman too!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I used to live in Northern Virginia. When the first flakes were predicted, the radio hosts would say," Abandon your cars!" It looks like you could have done that this time.

Love the snowmen!
Happy SITS Monday!

Kara said...

Awesome! I hope we get a big snow like that this year!

Confessions From A Working Mom said...

WOW, you really did get a lot of snow! We only got a few inches, and people here are going nuts; if we'd seen as much as you did, it would be cataclysmic!

And, this is gonna sound weird, but I am almost 100% sure I've been to your apartment complex before! I think that's where my friend used to live before she moved in to the city!

~Elizabeth
http://confessionsfromaworkingmom.blogspot.com

JoeyRes said...

Our snow (a quaint 5") was not sticky enough for snowpeople. We got out the sand buckets and made a snow castle. Turned out pretty cute!

Kimberly said...

Cute!

Miss Dot said...

Ummm... so when I was little and my mom made DIY playdoh, I use to eat it...

In other news, can you please send some of that snow our way? It's kinda warm out here in SoCal and I'm missing the east coast real bad :(

Very cute crafts!!

~visiting from SITS!~

Carrie77 said...

Oh wow, Nathan LOVES glue, so he would love to make a glue snowman! I am going to bookmark this for later... fun fun! And wow.. that is a LOT of snow!

Melissa B. said...

I live in the DC burbs, too. Only I was down at the OBX when the big storm hit. Imagine my shock when I returned yesterday afternoon. That sure is a lot of snow! SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did!

Seagull Sunrise

Crystal said...

What great crafts!! :) I wish I was crafty.

Montessori Moments said...

I love this post and glad you liked some of the ideas from my blog!
THANKS FOR LINKING THEM BACK TO ME!
Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

KatherineAnne said...

So cute! And whoa that is a lot of snow! I hope y'all had a wonderful Christmas! xo, KA

KatherineAnne said...

So cute! And whoa that is a lot of snow! I hope y'all had a wonderful Christmas! xo, KA

kanishk said...

cute pic of you and Holden! He is starting to look like big bro I think!

lise charmel