Thursday, December 10, 2009

This is What Little Boys Do Sometimes

I know Matt thinks my job is easy. After all, I am usually still in my pajamas and sitting in the recliner feeding Holden when he leaves. But he has no idea what I go through every day!

Last night was a bad night. Holden only slept for 2 hours. Obviously, he gets to sleep during the day, but I don't have that option. And two hours of sleep isn't enough for me! Aiden has outgrown his nap and I wouldn't dare take a nap when he's running around the house. I can't even imagine what he would get into!

So I got up at 5:15 to put on the coffee (which I don't drink), pack Matt's lunch, and fix him breakfast. He has no idea how lucky he is! When Matt left at 6, I sat down to feed Holden and I did fall asleep while nursing him. But at 6:30, I was woken up when I felt my shirt suddenly get really warm. Holden has just outgrown his size 1 diaper, but I still have half a box of them and they're so expesnsive that I can't just throw them away. They don't make red marks on him or anything (in that case I would give them away) they just tend to leak. So I had to wake my sleeping baby and change both of our outfits. He wasn't happy!

When I finally got Holden calmed down and back to sleep in his glider, it was 7:30 and Aiden was calling for me. Everything went smoothly from then until 9:30. Holden had a diaper blowout and I had to wash him up and change his outfit again. At this time, Aiden told me that he needed to use the bathroom. He usually takes a while so I thought I would have plenty of time to get Holden cleaned. While I was still washing Holden up, Aiden told me he was finished. I told him that I would be there in a minute. Apparently, he got inpatient with me and decided to wipe himself. When I went into the bathroom... there was poo everywhere. Oh. My. Goodness. On the toilet, on the wall, on his hands... My jaw dropped and Aiden said, "This is what little boys do sometimes." Then he laughed! Ahhhh!

The rest of the day was pretty normal. Cleaning and playing with the boys. Of course I clean and do laundry every day, but Thursday is my big housecleaning day. Mopping, bathrooms, dusting, etc. Aiden really likes to "help". That usually turns into a bigger mess, but at least he's learning!

Finally, right when I was getting ready to start dinner, Holden woke up and was ready to eat. Aiden was playing at the table with play doh. I changed Holden's diaper and started back to the living room. As I was walking down the hall, Aiden said, "Mommy, it's ok. You can stay in there and feed Holden now." Uh oh. I walked in the living room and this is what I saw:


Sequins all over the floor. Marker on the couch. Marker on the carpet. How can he do all of this in less than FIVE minutes?!! And he said, "Little kids are supposed to make messes." Ahhh! And little kids can learn to clean up those messes too!

So, all in all. A pretty normal day, right?

7 comments:

Judy said...

I had two girls, so I had no clue what mommies of boys went through until I got a grandson. He's 17 months and as my husband says, "We don't babysit him, we chase him." Enjoy your holidays!

Jessica said...

You poor thing. I know exactly the day you are talking about. They day when you want to just go lay down and lock your bedroom door so you can keep from screaming. I have had many. I love how we can relate to one another since we have two boys in the same age groups.

I hope your hubby starts to appreciate all you do for him. Wouldn't it be wonderful to wake up to breakfast being cooked for you? Or heck just if someone did that dang dishes for you?

Hang in there momma!

~~Mel~~ said...

You poor thing! What a tough day that was!

Aiden is too smart for his own good...you are going to have your hands full with him.

Stephanie said...

You deserve a day at the spa for surviving through all that! Wow. His quotes are classic.

Carrie77 said...

Oh my goodness. Seriously, I am ready for the fantastic four age, I am so exhausted from the terrible 3's! heehee!! That poo incident would have sent me over the edge... lol! Sounds like you are handling the challenges well tho!

Heatherlyn said...

Aiden's comments are not normal, they are super cute and smart!!! But yes, kids make messes. You will feel like you are just cleaning up never ending messes for a few years. But little kids CAN be taught to clean up. And they will clean up when they are taught. And you will not always be cleaning up messes. :)

~Shelley~ said...

Oh...my....you poor thing!! I feel for ya! This is what happened when I wasn't looking :)

http://shelleysswag.blogspot.com/2009/10/my-wordless-saturday.html

You just gotta smile about it sometimes :)