Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Grocery Store Nightmares

Aiden is such a good kid. He is so smart and funny. He is so sweet and caring. He is so loving and fun to be around. He is simply a wonderful little boy.



BUT as soon as we step inside Safeway, he turns into another child. It doesn't happen at Target. It doesn't happen at the mall or at The Little Gym. There is just something about the grocery store that makes him go CRAZY!

Surely, you're not talking about me!


He turns into Superman and runs around trying to help. He hangs onto the back of the cart. He climbs underneath the cart. He gets too far ahead of me. He gets too far behind. He picks things off the shelf and throws them into the cart. I could go on...

And Holden must be able to tell that Aiden is acting crazier than normal and that I get really flustered because he starts up as well.

Lately, Holden has been throwing a fit as soon we get in the store. Again, this doesn't happen at Target. Not at the mall and not at The Little Gym. Just the grocery store! He screams so loud that I have to get him out of his carseat and hold him on my hip. (As soon as it gets a little warmer I'm going to try the wrap again. It's just too cold and takes me too long to get him in it).

Me?


Last time we were at the store, a lady came up to me and asked if everything was ok. I told her that Holden just cries like that sometimes because he wants to be held. She said,

"Are you sure his diaper pins aren't poking him?"

"I'm pretty sure he just wants to be held." Then she asks me if she can hold him and that she will follow me around the store!

And Aiden... He got his finger ran over by the shopping cart. He bumped into one of the displays and knocked all kinds of boxes onto the floor. He pushed the lady's cart in front of us in line and accidentally hit her with it. He ran outside the store in front of me. (He did stop before the sidewalk ended but I always worry that he might forget and run out into the road.)

Once we leave the store, I am the perfect picture of a frazzled mom!



Aiden must have felt bad about how he acted at the store last night. When he got up this morning, he crawled onto my lap and put his arms around my neck. After loving me for a few minutes, he put his hands on my face and said, "I had a dream about you last night. At the grocery store. I will be nice to you today and I will listen." I love him!

How do you keep your little ones entertained at the grocery store?

19 comments:

Mommy to a lil lady[bug] said...

I only one kid but I make her ride in the cart!

Linzi said...

I already have nightmares about grocery shopping with my little one and she is only 4.5 months old! She currently LOVES riding in her Baby Bjorn carrier, cooing and squealing at the other shoppers, but I know one day all the precociousness and love of strangers is going to turn into me having to chase her down. I'm considering a leash, lol. I started reading suggestions on how to prevent grocery store melt-downs. One thing that is consistently suggested is giving the little one his own grocery list (even if it is just pictures) of some familiar things that you need to get. Make him the expert and in charge of getting those items, but he can only get them when you come to them. Make it a game - but if he wants to play he has to keep one hand on the cart until he comes to the item. Consider going down one isle at a time (even if you need nothing on it.) He may become accustomed to the routine of it and know not to run ahead bc you will eventually see every part of the store. Who knows if it really works. I guess I'll find out soon enough! Good luck!

Jaime @ Our Journey said...

Oh! I feel the pain! I bring a homemade "I Spy Book". If you ever get the opportunity, bring a camera to the grocery store and snap some photos along the way ... I turned mine into a FlipBook at Snapfish for $4.99. When I'm at the store with our son I give him the book and he gets to "spy" find some of the things from the store in his book! Someday soon I'll make a blog post about the project. Hope the idea helps!

Melissa B. said...

A Grocery Store Stranger cured my youngest of this malaise. She was spazzing out, and he went up to her, frowned and said, "You need to listen to your mother, or you'll turn out like me!" Scared her right back to the cart, and she was a perfect angel forever after...SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did...

Sleeping Beauty...Part Deux

Mel said...

I just try to make it a quick trip. Mariele is usually content in the cart if she is fed and changed and rested. Analese likes to walk along beside me now, and she is usually very good. Bribes help! I usually get her a small treat that she can enjoy after the grocery shopping trip IF she is good. The bribe is actually very powerful. If she starts to act up, all I have to do is remind her of the treat HEE HEE!

Mr. and Mrs. Stoneking said...

Your kids are adorable! Sorry to hear that you are having trouble at the grocery store... and what a crazy lady with her 2 cents. I would hate if someone came up to me and said something like that!

Seizing My Day said...

I had 2 tricks back in those days =) 1st... I shopped all crazy tired at night when the hubby was home after dinner =) it was the lesser of 2 evils! Trick number 2... put them in the cart and offer a 'treat' if they 'help' mommy by looking for the things I needed on my list... ie. if we were in the cereal isle ask them to find the cheerios... etc. if they started to 'act' up I would say... "oops mommy is going to have to put the treat back"... quiet and firm. (treats could be their favorite fruit snack, pop tarts, cookies... something I could use at home too) As for baby... I had a great back back ... worked like a charm! This time too shall pass... best wishes! =)

Just Jenn~ www.seizingmyday.com

Kristin said...

Right now we can't take our lil' dude to the grocery store because he wants everything and he wants it NOW!

Felissa Hadas said...

Stopping by to say hello with Friday Follow. Hope you have had a fantastic weekend.

Felissa

Please stop by my new blog and say hello
www.twolittlecavaliers.blogspot.com

www.felissahadas.blogspot.com

Nicole said...

omg how sweet! he is a great lil guy. I dont have little ones, cant you just tie him to the cart?! lol JUST KIDDING =D

Stopping by from SITS =D

Emmy said...

Oh that last statement makes it all better!

I give my kids a list, i.e paper and a pencil that they can write down what we are getting as we put it in the cart, they seem to enjoy that (neither of them really write yet). But we also left the store before making it in the other day, so who am I to give advice :)

Heatherlyn said...

Oh my. You just reminded me of grocery shopping with children. Only, I had more like 5. Pushing a cart with only one arm. Holding a baby in the other. Kids hanging from the cart. Mine were mostly very good. But still ... it's not fun. I had completely repressed the memory until I read your blogpost!!!! Of course, it's all funny when it is happening to someone else, so I enjoyed your post! :)

The Redhead Riter said...

Love the pic of yo frazzled. Cracked me up!

Does he show any signs of being ADD? My husband is ADD and says that it is very hard to be in a grocery store because of so much stuff and the stark lighting. Just a thought.

Dimes2Vines said...

I am sorry but it is funny and reminds me of when my older childrne were young! It gets easier the more you have! I have 10 and now the older ones help tremendously!

Stopping by from Fri Follows - I'm a new follower! Love to have you stop by:
http://dimes2vines.com

Katrina said...

I'm so glad I found your blog!! Love it!

I'm running behind but-- I'm your newest follower from Friday Follow! :)

http://sevinfamily.blogspot.com

phillip said...

I like you.

phillip said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hayley said...

I know exactly what you mean - mine are much the same. They bounce off each other. I have 2 boys, 4 and 6. Although, now have started to include the 6 year old more in the shopping - he holds the list and I help him read which items he cant. He feels really important (of course he is anyway). Whilst all this is happening the 4 year old is running around crazily but it's easier to just watch one run around than two, lol

I visited your blog from Friday follow, glad I did, looks great - I am following you now.

http://www.momisblogging.com

Debbie said...

Sounds familiar. Thank G-d I usually have my husband along if it's a big shopping trip. I send the two of them to graze at the tasting stands and have some quiet shopping time! My son is only two but he already has a reputation with some of the tasting stand workers - they give him bigger servings!

If it's just the two of us, I let him "choose" one item (a chocolate yogurt) and try to get it over with ASAP. Waiting to pay next to all the candy bars in the world is tough.