Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Preschool Science

I'm trying to get back into the habit of having a "learning time" with Aiden every day. Since I've always been interested in science, I wanted to share a science activity with Aiden. I did a google search and came up with this activity.

Aiden was really excited when he saw the different containers that he was going to be able to play with. He loves pouring activities.

Pouring oil in water



Pretty exciting!



Aiden knows that adding food color to water makes the water change color, but he didn't know what to expect when adding food color to oil.



Adding some salt



This part was pretty neat. The salt carried down some of the oil and food color and then once the salt dissolved in the water, the oil floated back to the top. Finally, the food color changes the water but not the oil.



Since we already had the food color out, I thought it would be fun to color some snow. I got this idea from my bloggy friend Mel. Aiden loved it!

Mixing it Up





I thought it would be fun to mix the different snow colors to see how they changed. Aiden wanted to just put them all in a big pan. He said, "Let's just make brown, Mommy."






4 comments:

Shell said...

Very cute ideas!

Carrie77 said...

Ooh coloring snow, that looks fun and it may be a good activity for Nathan since he has 'sensory' issues..heheh. I am still not used to his short hair! :)

kimert said...

That looks so fun!!!

Heatherlyn said...

Fun! My kids would love that too. What is it with kids and pouring? They could do it for an hour straight and not even blink!