Monday, March 15, 2010

Rainbows, Leprechauns, and Gold... Oh my!

It's been a while since Aiden and I have done an art project. So last night I took a break from my thesis and planned a St. Patrick's day activity for us to do today.

I found a cute little leprechaun project from Disney's Family Fun website. I made all of the pieces last night and Aiden painted and assembled it today.

He was excited about being able to paint. But when he saw the toilet paper roll, he said,"I'm supposed to paint that? That's boring!"



All the little pieces



Holden and our finished leprechaun. Holden sat in his seat and watched the entire time. I think he's going to like doing art projects as well!



While we waited for the paint to dry, we made a rainbow.







After looking at both of the pieces together, Aiden asked, "Where's the pot of gold?" So I took another idea from the family fun website and made some lemon jello. I cut the jello in little squares and put them in a small black bowl.



Aiden was so excited about eating his jello. He said, "Mommy! You have to try a piece. It's so jiggly!" And he watched closely to see my reaction when I ate a piece. So cute.

9 comments:

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

How fun! don't you just love Family Fun? We did the yellow jello last year. The kids got a kick out of it. We actually made a toilet paper roll leprechaun today from a different template, but yours is MUCH cuter. Love the half paper plate rainbow idea. We may have to do that!

jackie said...

How cute! I'm going to start doing some of these activities with my son.

Shell said...

What a cute craft!

Carrie77 said...

You always have the best ideas! The rainbow looks sort of like what Nathan did at school but he blended in all of his rainbow stripes.. but, I love the cotton balls as clouds on the edges, how cute is that! And, that leprechaun IS ADORABLE!!! Ok, I am so stealing this idea for next year!! Love your blog! BTW, after seeing your blog post about the neon clothes at Children's Place I went there and got Nathan the same orange jersey and also a yellow neon polo. I got a couple of the $5 tee's to layer underneath. I saw the pink polo and it was SO cute, I almost got it but didn't... You'll have to post a pic of Aiden in it! :o)-

Heatherlyn said...

That's adorable! I've yet to do St. Patrick's day crafts with the kids, but I ought to because I love rainbows so much. I will usually buy those chocolate coins and a rainbow colored sour power strip for their lunches. I love your St. Patrick's day crafts and jello!

~~Mel~~ said...

Melissa you are so creative! I love how your crafts turned out and I think using yellow jello was a brilliant idea.

Mel said...

That is so cute!! I think it is wonderful that you are still doing all these amazing and creative projects with Aiden, even though you are now busy with Holden too. He looks like he enjoys watching!

Messy Mommy said...

CUTE! We so need to do a project around here!

Emmy said...

What cute cute activities. Looks like a great day!