Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A St. Patrick's Day Treat

Today, we met our new friends at the park. It was so much fun. Finally! A mommy friend for me and a 4 year old friend for Aiden! It was so cute seeing Aiden run after his new friend. And Aiden was so proud of his little brother. He kept saying, "Come look at my baby. Look at this cute, cute, precious baby." The little boy had no interest in Holden, but Aiden would not give up. He took the little boy's arm and finally talked him into looking at his baby.

After playing at the park for 2.5 hours, we went to a make up class at The Little Gym. This is the class that Aiden should have been in from the beginning. There were big boys in the class and he had so much more fun. It amazes me how quickly little kids can make friends. Within 15 minutes, a little boy was calling Aiden's name and they were running around together and whispering secrets in each other's ears.

Aiden has really broken out of his shell lately. He will go up to other kids now and ask them to play. I'm so proud of him.

Anyway, back to today's St. Patrick's Day activity. I had planned on making clover cupcakes with Aiden this evening, but we ran out of time. Instead, I made them after he went to bed and will surprise him with them in the morning.

To make the clover, I rolled up aluminum foil and put it around the cupcake lining after pouring the batter in.





I used green licorice for the clover stem. I had no idea they made green (watermelon flavored) licorice until I saw it at Safeway the other day. (I got this recipe from the Family Fun website)



I ran out of aluminum foil and didn't want to bake for an hour, so I made a dozen cupcakes plain.



And tomorrow, I'm taking the boys on a Leprechaun hunt! It should be fun...

7 comments:

kimert said...

Cute cupcakes!! I love Family Fun! :)

Carrie77 said...

SOOOO CUTE!!!! Another idea I will steal for next year! Heheh. Although, I wonder if I'll be able to find green licorice. Looks easy, too! Can't wait to hear about the Leprechaun hunt

Emmy said...

So cute! Never would have thought to do that

Mommy to a lil lady[bug] said...

what a great idea to make clovers!!

Shanilie said...

Sweet! What a fun and festive family time.

Happy St.Patty's

Heatherlyn said...

I love the cupcakes!

Aiden is such a smart little boy and seems to have equal intelligence in the emotional/social as well as the intellectual!

I'm excited to see how your hunt went! My kids would love something like that but I've never put one together!

Messy Mommy said...

Awesome treat idea! That's so great that you had fun at your playgroup! I also got together with a new friend who has a boy Otter's age.