Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Stood Up

You have got to be kidding me! I was stood up not once- but TWICE- today!

I may not have made any friends through my mom's group as of yet, but they always have such fun activities on the calendar so I refuse to give up. At the very least, I'm becoming more familiar with the area and learning of lots of fun new places to take the boys.

On Saturday, we were supposed to meet some of the moms at Barnes & Noble for Dr. Seuss's birthday party. I took the boys and waited at the designated spot, but no one showed up. The birthday party was really cute though and Aiden enjoyed it. They read Dr. Seuss books, colored hats, did huge dot to dot puzzles, and made green egg cookies.

One mom kept glancing around and I wondered if maybe she was part of the mom's group. So I just went up to her and asked. Another mom overheard me and said that she was a part of the group too. Apparently, we are all new members of the group (we never saw the organizer!) and we all have 3.5 year olds. I was so excited! I exchanged information with them and scheduled a playdate for today.

So the boys and I had a big day scheduled. We were supposed to meet 6 moms from the group this morning and go on a nature walk. Then we had the playdate this afternoon. We got to the lake 10 minutes early and we waited for 15 minutes after the time we were supposed to meet everyone. NO ONE showed!

I came home and had emails from two of the moms. The organizer apologized for not being there because her brother had flown in from Ireland. Seriously? She didn't know about that until this morning? And she couldn't have sent that email BEFORE the time we were supposed to meet?!

So I thought, Oh well. At least I have the playdate this afternoon and I now know of a good place for picnics this summer.

Yeah. We went to the park at 1:20. And waited. And waited. We were still there at 4:30 and my "friends" never showed up!

Aiden had so much fun and he played with a lot of the children who were there.









Holden enjoyed his time at the park in the Hotsling. He is fascinated with all of the children screaming and running around.



And I did get an email from my "friend" too. She is new to the area and apparently got lost and forgot to write down my cell number. I know how that is. I didn't have her number with me either. And I get completely lost all the time. Even with Garmin! So we have tentative plans to meet at a different park (which we both know how to get to) on Thursday. I hope it works out; it seems like we have quite a bit in common!

17 comments:

Judy said...

I know how it feels! We moved here last August and I still don't really feel like I have friends here. There are several people who are nice and we can get along, but I still really want friends who I can hang out with and watch our kids play together.

Acting Balanced Mom said...

Having been on both sides of the Mommy club, I know how frustrating it is... I used to be 'the organizer' and try to get to everything on the calendar... or designate someone... but when you plan over a month ahead things happen in the intervening time... I'm sorry that you got stood up though... at least you had a great time on your own!

Emmy said...

So sorry :( I hope the next one works out for you too. I bet it will, especially since she emailed you and told you what happened.

Miller Moments said...

I'm so impressed with you....even when the going gets tough, you keep trying. You inspire me! I can't believe that your organizer was so disorganized, but I'm finding that seems to be the way of the world these days.

Tracy said...

I'm so sorry!! I'm glad you keep trying and that you still find the bright side of your days, even when your plans don't go as expected!

Carrie77 said...

Awww! If you lived near me, I would hang with you!! Hopefully you'll hook up with the mom that got lost and become best buddies afterall!! I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Messy Mommy said...

That's awful & GREAT news! I'm so glad you found a friend! I had a mom call me the other day and invite me over. We had a good time and I met another mom too! Maybe things are finally turning around for us! :)

Drama queens mum (Kimberly) said...

I feel for you. I hope things go good tomorrow & you do get to have a playdate. I gave you an award on my blog. I'm just posting it now.

Jessica said...

Man that stinks! I hope you have better luck soon! :D

Megan said...

That totally sucks. Making friends as an adult is so freaking hard. Blah. I hope Thursday works out much better!

Erica said...

It is so hard to make mommy friends! Seriously!

I just caught up with an old friend from junior high the other day. We were both so incredibly excited and we shared a mushy conversation over Facebook later that evening, expressing our gratitude for finding a mom friend.

It's kind of sad when you get mushy over making a friend. But hey.


I'm sorry you got stood up! I still have yet to actually go to one of my mommy group meet-ups. So nervous.

Debbie said...

Found you on Friday follow. Love your blog!!! And I love this post. I too have had trouble meeting mommy friends, why is it so difficult?!

www.lifeofamodernmom.com

Debbie said...

Some of my closest friends where made at a playgroup! We experienced so much together and truly where eachothers saving grace. At one point every Friday we would swap kids...three maximum and we would have two hours of free time, it was great...you have to consider that down the road when you get to know each other. Your kids will grow and bond together as well! Have a great weekend:)

Crystal said...

Definitely stick with it on the mommy groups - it is difficult especially when you're the 'newbie'. I've been a part of my mommy's group for a little over 2 years, and I've met some great ladies. It did take awhile to get to know everyone at first though. :)

KatherineAnne said...

I am so sorry! But, the new "friend" sounds like a promising friendship! I keep praying that you meet some mommy's that are sweet! I hope everything goes well! xo, KA

~~Mel~~ said...

Aw how crappy of your 'friends' to stand you up...at least the one had a good reason and I sure hope you were able to meet up with her afterall!

香蕉哥哥 said...

It's great!!.............................................