Friday, March 28, 2014

Flashback Friday: A Valentine Story


Let's travel back to February 2012.

Holden was 2 years old and I wanted to do a project with him that was a little festive and would add some Valentine cheer to our home. I decided on a salt dough heart garland.

First, we made the salt dough (1c flour, 1/2 c salt, 1/2 c water) and cut out our hearts, making a hole near the top with a straw. Then I baked them for 2 hours at 250.

Once our hearts had cooled, I gave Holden some red and white paint on a plate and allowed him to discover that he could make pink.


When he grew tired of painting, I covered the hearts with glue and let him sprinkle them with tubes of red, white, silver, and gold glitter.


Once the glue had dried, I covered the hearts with a sealant to better preserve them and put them back on the cookie sheet to dry.

It was at this point that Matt came home. He went into the kitchen while I was playing with the boys in the living room. Suddenly, he called to me," I think you may have baked these cookies too long. And possibly added salt instead of sugar?" I ran into the kitchen to see that he had taken a big bite out of one of our salt dough ornaments glitter, glue, and all. I explained to him what they were and asked how he couldn't tell that they were covered in glitter! He just said, "I didn't know. I thought that was a new kind of sprinkle." Admittedly, I can how he could make that mistake, but I couldn't help but tease him about it over the next few weeks!

Anyways... I made a garland with the remaining hearts using several silver pipe cleaners and hung it above our television.


I thought it was pretty cute and actually left it up way past Valentine's Day because really hearts are for any time of the year right?

No comments: